Director of Enrollment Management for July 2019
(Click here to download a PDF of the job description)
Rodeph Sholom School (www.rodephsholomshool.org) is an independent Reform Jewish Day School serving over 500 students in Nursery through 8th Grade. A NAIS (National Association of Independent Schools) school, RSS was founded nearly 50 years ago and is housed in two spacious locations on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. The Early Childhood program, Twos through Kindergarten, has its own space on 84th Street, and the Elementary Division (1st-4th) and Middle School (5th-8th) are housed in well-appointed spaces in adjoining buildings on 78th/ 79th Streets.
RSS’s curriculum integrates the best of secular and Jewish learning, building knowledge and skills in math, science, the arts, humanities, and Hebrew and Jewish studies. The school is dedicated to providing a learning environment that exemplifies excellence in education, appreciation of the needs of the whole child, commitment to Jewish life, and responsibility to Jewish and world communities. Rodeph Sholom School is affiliated with Congregation Rodeph Sholom, one of the oldest and largest Reform synagogues in New York City, located contiguous to the school’s Early Childhood building. All families who have children enrolled at RSS must also be members of the Congregation. The synagogue has been enhancing its programming for young families, recently introducing a “Sholom Sprouts” program, offering RSS opportunities to engage with families who demonstrate interest in the Jewish community.
In 2017 RSS welcomed a new Head of School, Danny Karpf, who has made great strides in re-energizing the community, bringing positivity and warmth to a school with a strong and loyal base. Community members display a palpable sense of commitment and wonderful enthusiasm for the school. It is a great moment to join the school community as a key ambassador, as there is an authentic opportunity to encourage families to educate their children in a school that values the whole child, is infused with Jewish values, and which cares deeply about academic excellence.
MissionRodeph Sholom School, a Reform Jewish Day School, fosters intellectual curiosity through a challenging independent school academic program in nursery through eighth grade. At the heart of RSS is a warm, vibrant community, where students are guided by Jewish knowledge, values, and ethics to become self-confident and socially responsible leaders.
The Director of Enrollment Management reports to the Head of School and serves as a member of the school’s senior leadership team. This is a great opportunity for an energetic, dynamic enrollment professional to work closely with an engaged Head of School, a strong administrative team and a committed Board of Directors. Last year, the school’s leadership formed an Enrollment Task Force to examine how to best maximize admissions efforts and strategies moving forward; there is a keen understanding of the need to support admissions efforts at the leadership level.
The successful candidate will embrace and support the mission and goals of the school, enthusiastically become involved in the RSS community, and appreciate the opportunities to serve as a key ambassador, building strong relationships internally as well as externally in support of RSS. RSS seeks a dynamic, strategic, and entrepreneurial admissions professional to lead the efforts in support of the enrollment and retention of students. They will:
▪ Serve as an authentic and compelling ambassador;
▪ Develop and implement a comprehensive recruitment and admissions strategy to meet RSS’s enrollment goals;
▪ Provide leadership to an admissions office staff that includes two professionals in addition to the Director, working with a collaborative and goal-oriented team;
▪ Engage with other school leaders to ensure programming is meeting the needs and interests of today’s students and families;
▪ Implement strategies for appropriately involving and energizing RSS’s faculty, parents and students in recruitment, admissions and retention efforts.Qualifications
RSS’s Director of Enrollment Management will have a successful track record of building strong relationships, implementing systems, utilizing data, and leading strategic initiatives. They will:
▪ Have successful leadership and administrative experience and a track record of success as a strategic and innovative admissions professional;
▪ Be a responsive, articulate, and adept communicator while also being an effective listener;
▪ Enjoy being an accessible member of a school community who connects with students, parents, faculty, and prospective families with ease and sincerity;
▪ Be highly organized and detail oriented;
▪ Be knowledgeable about best practices in marketing, admissions, and retention;
▪ Possess strong technological and analytic abilities, demonstrating a strategic understanding of today’s admissions landscape (ideally in New York City);
▪ Be a positive leader, manager, and collaborator, understanding how to inspire, motivate and positively partner with others in a school community;
▪ Possess enthusiasm, passion, a sense of humor, and a strong work ethic;
▪ Possess an appreciation for, and an ability to design and implement, systems to support a high-functioning, professional admissions office;
▪ Have keen abilities as a marketer and an understanding of how to connect effectively with today’s parents and families.
The successful candidate will ideally be Jewish, possessing a personal understanding of and an ability to communicate authentically about the significant added value of a Jewish day school program and community.
All inquiries will be treated confidentially and a review of candidate files will begin immediately. Please email a Resume and Letter of Interest to:
Jane Armstrong or Bill Lyons, Managing Partners, Independent Thinkingsearch@independent-thinking.com