Students, faculty, and staff are expected to complete the test the evening before, or the morning of, the day they are returning their kits back to school. The kit will have the individual's name, as well as a saliva collection tube and a saliva straw.
Please follow the instructions below on how to collect their saliva sample:
- Watch this video from Mirimus to see how to conduct the saliva collection.
- Please do not eat, drink, or brush teeth within 30 minutes of providing your sample.
- Do not use mouthwash within 2 hours of sample collection.
- Unscrew the tube cap and insert the ridged end of saliva straw into the tube. Pool saliva in mouth and push saliva through the straw into the tube until half full.
- If using the included straw is too challenging, your child can try spitting directly into the collection tube.
- Remove and discard saliva straw (if using) and securely cap the tube.
- Place the vial in the plastic zippered bag and place in your child’s backpack.
- Upon arrival at school, your child will drop their kit in a designated box before entering the building.
If providing adequate sample volume is a challenge for your child, the following may help increase saliva production:
- Gently rubbing the outside of your cheeks
- Making chewing motions with your mouth
- Smelling or imagining sour foods such as lemons
- Thinking about your own favorite food